(I'm with) Coco Shrimp.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Whenever I go out to eat I always ask myself two questions when deciding what to order: What am I craving and am I capable of making of this dish? If I believe that I can make a dish at home then its not worth ordering for me.One dish that is fun to make but a little more on the slightly difficult side is Coconut shrimp. It's not exactly the healthiest but it sure is DELICIOUS! My friend J.L. made this dish so props!

Beer coconut shrimp

Ingredients
  • 24 large shelled shrimp with tails
  • 2 cups of coconut flakes
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/3 of a cup of beer
  • ¾ of a cup of flour
  • 1½ tsp of baking powder
  • vegetable oil
Method
  1. Whisk the egg, beer, baking powder and ½ a cup of flour in a large mixing bowl until a smooth batter is formed.
  2. Place the remainder of the flour in a bowl and all of the coconut in a separate bowl.
  3. Grasp the shrimp by the tail and dip into the flour and then the batter. Allow any excess batter to drip off.
  4. Then, roll the shrimp in the coconut, making sure that the shrimp is evenly coated.
  5. Set the coated shrimp on a plate or dish and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
  6. Pour 3 cups of vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer and heat to a temperature of 375°F (190°C).
  7. Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and fry in the hot oil in small batches for several minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
  9. Serve hot with a sauce or dip. 
We served it with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, but most importantly orange marmalade. Its the perfect combination!


P.S. Team Coco- today's post is dedicated to the genius that is Conan O'Brien.

1 comments:

Justin said...

That close up picture kills me a little inside...

Post a Comment