Bulgogi, Tofu and Kimchi OH MY!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010


I've always been very willing to try new food and I look forward to experiencing new types of cuisine. So when my friend S told me that she had never had kimchi before I was dumbfounded. Maybe it's because I'm Asian so the idea that she's never had it before seems so impossible but she's Caucasian and used to food like Beef Stroganoff. And S was surprised when I told her that I had never made chili from scratch (which I plan to do in the near future). This whole college experience has opened my eyes a lot. Last week I invited her and our friend A for an Asian-inspired meal. I had some pre-marinated spicy pork Bulgogi that I bought from a local Korean supermarket named H-mart, marinated tofu with green onions, kimchi and rice. I was a bit frightened that S would not like kimchi (the smell isn't exactly the most appealing) but she actually enjoyed it! Here's the recipe for the tofu: instead of putting it on skewers and grilling it I simply pan fried it with a little bit of oil.

Ingredients

3/4 cup Vegetable oil
3 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
4 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 Scallion, thinly sliced
3 Garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp Ground ginger
16oz Firm Tofu, drained, pressed
And cut into 1" cubes
12 Fresh mushrooms
10 Cherry tomatoes
1 Red pepper, cut into 1" pieces
1 Red onion, cut into chunks and
Seperated

Preparation

Combine oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, scallion, garlic and ground ginger in bowl. Toss 1/3 of the marinade with the tofu to coat and marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours.
In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, tomatoes, red pepper and onion. Pour remaining marinade over vegetables and toss.
Thread the tofu and vegetables, alternately on skewers.
Cook on the grill 10-15 minutes, brush with marinade and turn several times.


S has also informed me that she has never had dim sum. I'm speechless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment